By Scott O. Lilienfeld,Steven Jay Lynn,John Ruscio, et al.John Wiley & Sons, Inc.|Wiley||Wiley-BlackwellAdult NonfictionPsychologyLanguage(s): EnglishOn sale date: 21.01.2010Street date: 15.09.2011
50 nice Myths of well known Psychology makes use of renowned myths as a car for supporting scholars and laypersons to tell apart technological know-how from pseudoscience.
- Uses universal myths as a automobile for exploring the right way to distinguish real from fictional claims in renowned psychology
- Explores issues that readers will relate to, yet frequently misunderstand, reminiscent of 'opposites attract', 'people use purely 10% in their brains', and 'handwriting finds your character'
- Provides a 'mythbusting equipment' for comparing folks psychology claims in daily life
- Teaches crucial severe pondering talents via specific discussions of every fantasy
- Includes over 2 hundred extra mental myths for readers to explore
Contains an Appendix of priceless sites for reading mental myths
- Features a postscript of exceptional mental findings that sound like myths yet which are precise
- Engaging and available writing type that appeals to scholars and lay readers alike
Read or Download 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology. Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior PDF
Best encyclopedias & subject guides books
Exploring Polar Frontiers: A ancient Encyclopedia is the single reference paintings that gives a accomplished background of polar exploration from the traditional interval during the today's. the writer is a famous polar student and provides dramatic debts of all significant explorers and their expeditions, including separate exploration histories for particular islands, areas, and uncharted waters.
No period in American background has been extra attention-grabbing to american citizens, or extra severe to the last word future of the USA, than the colonial period. among the time that the 1st eu settlers proven a colony at Jamestown in 1607 in the course of the signing of the announcement of Independence, the outlines of America's detailed political tradition, economy, social lifestyles, and cultural styles had began to emerge.
FUND YOUR DREAM BUSINESSEvery enterprise wishes funds. no matter if you’re simply beginning out or are able to extend, attempting to find money isn’t effortless and you’ll desire a online game plan to achieve success. The specialists of Entrepreneur may also help enhance your odds of luck by means of exploring the on hand suggestions to guiding you from small company loans and angel traders to crowdfunding and enterprise capital.
- The Encyclopedia of Middle East Wars: The United States in the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, and Iraq Conflicts (5 volumes)
- The Middle Ages: A Concise Encyclopaedia
- The Encyclopedia of Religion and Nature (Two Volume Set): Volume 2
- Training Manual on Disability Statistics
Extra info for 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology. Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior
But it can lead us to accept this claim as correct even when it’s not, because we can confuse a statement’s familiarity with its accuracy (Gigerenzer, 2007). ” capitalize on this principle mercilessly. ”) 10 times can lead us to assume that this opinion is as widely held as hearing 10 people express this opinion once (Weaver, Garcia, Schwarz, & Miller, 2007). Hearing is often believing, especially when we hear a statement over and over again. (2) Desire for Easy Answers and Quick Fixes Let’s face it: Everyday life isn’t easy, even for the best adjusted of us.
Why is it important to know about psychological myths? There are at least three reasons: (1) Psychological myths can be harmful. For example, jurors who believe incorrectly that memory operates like a videotape may vote to convict a defendant on the basis of confidently held, but inaccurate, eyewitness testimony (see Myth #11). In addition, parents who believe incorrectly that punishment is usually an effective means of changing long-term behavior may spank their children whenever they misbehave, only to find that their children’s undesirable actions become more frequent over time (see p.
If we’re walking down the street and see a masked man running out of a bank with a gun, we’ll probably try to get out of the way as quickly as we can. That’s because this man is representative of—similar to—bank robbers we’ve seen on television and in motion pictures. Of course, it’s possible that he’s just pulling a prank or that he’s an actor in a Hollywood action movie being filmed there, but better safe than sorry. In this case, we relied on a mental shortcut, and we were probably smart to do so.
50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology. Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior by Scott O. Lilienfeld,Steven Jay Lynn,John Ruscio, et al.John Wiley & Sons, Inc.|Wiley||Wiley-BlackwellAdult NonfictionPsychologyLanguage(s): EnglishOn sale date: 21.01.2010Street date: 15.09.2011